So someone gives you a VCD and you want to save the movie to your hard disk. Here's how you do it:
- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the MPEGAV folder on the VCD
- In that folder, you will find from one to several files that are named AVSEQ01 to 0 whatever, with the extension ".dat"
- Copy and paste all those files into a folder on your hard disk
- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to that folder, select the first file and hit F2, the function key
- Change the .dat extension to .mpeg
- Repeat for every .dat file you copied from the MPEGAV folder.
The files work perfectly in Windows Media Player and most film editors.